Post Format

Living and Enlightenment

32 comments

Note: (I’ve dropped out of blogging for a while because i’ve been very busy with other projects. I may — or may not — be doing much blogging in the future; it depends upon my time and some other factors. For those who are truly “inquiring” in all of this, what i have written is always there — and elsewhere — if you know how to look. Regarding the blogging, posting close-up nature pictures has always been a small part of my offerings, although the main focus has always been the philosophy. Followers who have primarily focused on the pictures have really missed the whole point; it’s like focusing on the tie that a good philosopher is wearing, rather than actually listening to what he has to say… which is sad in regard to the picture — or mere tie — lover. That being said, the number of insect species and other small species disappearing in the environment is alarming, to say the least. It breaks my heart to go picture-taking and seeing fewer wildlife species each year, and it is not just in our area; it is all over. Additionally, so many millions of people, such as in America, succumbing to heartless political propaganda — that includes indifference to the health of the environment — is equally cataclysmic… and, of course, the two situations are closely related.)

************************************************************************

So many of us have assumed that we are fully living. However, a person who has been through true satori (i.e., true visitation from that eternal, sacred energy) realizes that people are only “alive” and “living” to a very limited, fragmentary extent. Such so-called “living” is only a rather seed-like state that has never really blossomed whatsoever. To truly change fundamentally, the instrument that is looking is perceiving beyond distortion. That instrument is the mind (and perception of the mind is not separate from what the mind is). Before one starts “cleaning” the mind into what one thinks it “should be” one must realize that there is no separate “cleaner” or “changer” and that time is not a necessary factor. And the “should be” is a projection of the mind that may help create illusions of separation, such as (psychologically) the so-called separation between the “changer” and the “changed.” Thought takes time; thought is psychological time and is separative and fragmentary. A vast, whole, timeless intelligence does exist.

Covered in pollen… Photo by Thomas Peace c. 2020

Posted by

My Blog primarily consists of close-up nature photos (that I've taken locally) combined with original holistic-truth oriented prose and/or poetry involving mindfulness/awareness. I love nature and I love understanding the whole (not merely the parts and the details). I'm a retired teacher of the multiply handicapped. I have a number of interesting hobbies, such as fossil collecting, sport-kite flying, 3D and 2D close-up photography, holography, and pets. Most of all, I am into holistic self-awareness, spontaneous insight, unconventional observation/direct perception, mindfulness, meditation, world peace, non-fragmentation, population control, vegetarianism, and green energy. To follow my unique Blog of "Nature Photos and Mindfulness Sayings" and for RSS feeds to my new posts, please access at: tom8pie.com (On my regular Blog posting pages, for additional information and to follow, simply click on the "tack icon" at the upper right corner... or, on my profile page, you can click on the "Thomas Peace" icon.) Stay mindful, understanding, and caring!...

32 Comments Join the Conversation

1. I agree with Crookedcreek.live. We tend to look for “the voice of reason” when all is chaotic around us. Wishing you all the best.

2. Tom, I do miss your posts…. with this environmental destruction/depression upon us it might be useful for you to read two books: Fantastic Fungi/Paul Stamets. and Entangled Life/ Merlin Sheldrake. Both of these books have helped me a lot – they offer genuine hope – not new age fluff and don’t ignore the peril we are in.

I lOVE your photos, you know that, but they’re the visual expression of your writing – a both and thing – if a person doesn’t get that – the point is missed. – sadly.

• Oh Tom, I don’t like to hear that you are too busy to read good books! I wasn’t referring to the kind of hope that most people seem to need – this kind of hope focuses on the big picture – it’s not personal. I don’t know about you, but I want the Earth to recover from this human induced trauma.

• Yes, Sara, it would be more than wonderful if the earth recovers from too much human neglect. When i was a kid, i had some profound premonitions. One was that a recurrent virus would plague human beings. Another was that humans would ruin the complex life-forms of the earth. Both have been coming true.
        We need to wake up.
        I don’t read books but i do read a good amount online about prehistoric life, Native American history, and science-oriented things.

3. I do love your photography, but your very welcome images are only one of many reasons I visit your blog. The number of people who truly care about this planet are too few and it is always a joy to read your well thought out posts. We are all connected, whether we realize it or not. Unfortunately, we need many, many more people to come to this realization. It is only when we are aware that real change can happen that will benefit the environment and all life forms that depend upon it. Reflection, deep reflection, alas, is missing in our societies. Yet, I am the eternal optimist (I don’t know why), and hope I will see a real change in my lifetime.

4. Been missing your posts Sir Thomas! Glad to see you back blogging even if it is not as often as you’ve graced us in the past. 😉 Beautiful snapshot!

5. I was wondering where you’d been Tom, but I was thinking it was just too hot to be traipsing around, plus the ticks and mosquitoes that didn’t die off last Winter might be problematic in your wooded area near your home, so you were staying away. It’s sad to learn that it is not YOU staying away with less forays and posts about these woodland flowers and creatures but because they are not as plentiful now. I just thought of you this morning when I learned of the Woolly Mammoth discovered in Siberia – a true find, with not only bones intact, but soft tissue matter still evident. I always appreciate your written words, though I was often more inclined to ooh and aah over the photos. Take care.

• Thank you, Linda! I hope that you are doing well and are staying safe.
      What appalls me is the lack of many regular butterflies in our area. It it not just here; other butterfly-watchers that i know, up north, are noticing — or i should say “not noticing” — the same thing. It is truly tragic, and most people are oblivious to it. Bees too, for example, are drastically reduced in numbers.
      Cool about that Wooly Mammoth. Likely it was exposed because of all of the Permafrost melting like crazy with global warming.
      Perhaps things will improve if more people wake up and realize that they need to be more responsible.

• I am well Tom and avoiding public places as much as possible.

I have been hearing about the bee population dwindling, but did not know the butterflies were also at risk. That is a real shame. The pesticide applications for lawns likely are the biggest culprit. I went to the Alpaca farm back in mid-March. I was chatting with the owner who gave me a little tour since they had closed to the public the day before due to COVID-19. I had sent him/his wife the blog post I wrote the first time I was there and he remembered me doing so and I got a little tour of the farm and area, while social distancing from the alpacas. (Actually “social distancing” was not really in our vocabulary then, but they closed since the virus droplets could become embedded in the alpaca’s fibers.)

Anyway, Richard raised bees. He had told me in the past to visit and he’d show me how he takes the honey off the hive. It was not the right season, but he was quite upset. He lost all his bees and he showed me all the boxes where the bees usually cluster to make honey – a few dribbles of honey were all they made and they died. He blamed it on the pesticide sprayed in the nearby cornfields … said the bees ingest the poison and die later. He is abandoning the honey business for good as he said it will keep happening and he is powerless to do anything about it. If a new administration comes in, perhaps we have a chance to rectify past and current mistakes. Fingers crossed that happens. I never thought of the global warming aspect of the discovery – I did know it was something you’d be interested in though.

Take care of yourself and Marla and don’t be a stranger Tom, okay?

• Yes, Linda, we avoid areas where the virus can be spread… which is basically anywhere indoors. When i had those premonitions about a virus (back when i was very young), they would keep coming back again and again repeatedly. I suspect that that means that the virus will be recurrent and will not be going away any time soon.
        Stay cautious and stay safe.

6. Tom tienes toda la razón, muchas veces mi atención solo ha sido para las excelentes fotografías que has tomado de los exóticos insectos, algunas veces he leído tu poesía usando google translate por el idioma, se que tus escritos son muy profundos y tocan el Alma y el espíritu. Te voy a extrañar si no vuelves a publicar en tu blog, de todas formas te doy las gracias por compartir tu sabiduría. Te escribo en español porque me queda más fácil.

7. Thank you, Marcela. It must be difficult to understand my writings in English when you are more into the Spanish language. Unfortunately, many of the creatures that i love taking pictures of are disappearing in numbers. Sure some species are doing well, but others, being more fragile, are disappearing rapidly. We all need to be better caretakers of the earth. It is our responsibility. Take care and stay healthy and safe!